Low back pain is one of the most prevalent pains that our patients will see us here at Custom Chiropractor. Low back pain can be classified into three subcategories:
- Acute low back pain that lasts less than 4 weeks.
- Subacute low back pain lasting between 4 to 12 weeks.
- Chronic low back pain lasting longer than 12 weeks.
Causes of low back pain:
There are a lot of different things that can cause low back pain; ranging from congenital reasons to kidney stones to nerve impingements to segmental instability. Identifying and treating the source of low back pain is an effective way to ensure the best treatment and full recovery.
As chiropractors, we treat any musculoskeletal dysfunction. as strains, sprains, traumatic sport injuries, spinal segmental instability as well as intervertebral disc disorders, spinal stenosis, herniated discs and sciatica. Skeletal abnormalities such as scoliosis can cause muscle imbalances that can also be managed by chiropractors.
Risk factors for low back pain:
- Job related factors: sedentary lifestyle versus hard labor
- Fitness levels- inactivity versus powerlifting
- Age- osteoarthritis
- Genetics- underlying conditions such as Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Psychological factors- stress, depression and mood
When is the best time to see a chiropractor for low back pain?
The best time to see a chiropractor for low back pain is in the acute state but even in the subacute and chronic state, chiropractic care can give patients a pain free life. The earlier you take action, the better and more cost effective the outcome.
Our approach for low back pain treatment and management
At Custom Chiropractor, we have a hands-on approach to treatment that differentiates us from other clinics. We use a combination of lumbar traction, active release technique, cupping, Graston technique, heat or cold therapy and specific chiropractic adjustments to treat low back pain.
The chiropractic adjustment is used to restore motion between two segments of the spine which leads to better joint function. After the treatment, we prescribe specific stretches and exercises for our patients to help ease the low back pain at home.
Facts about low back pain:
- 97% of disc herniations are successfully managed conservatively and non- operatively
- 60% of patients with disc lesions will have the same results with chiropractic manual adjustments versus surgical decompression
- 50% of patients will complain of low back symptoms yearly
- A study in 2010 showed that low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide
Prevention of low back pain:
Recurring low back pain can be prevented by staying active and strengthening the core, low back and glutes. At Custom Chiropractor, we believe that living an active lifestyle, reducing stress levels and eating a wholesome diet can help with prevention of low back pain. Make an appointment today, to get the help you need.
How to make an appointment
To schedule an appointment, please call us at 408-248-8700 or visit our website at santaclaracustomchiro.com.
After scheduling your appointment, intake forms will be conveniently emailed to you to complete prior to your initial evaluation. These forms will include questions about your health history so our chiropractors can get a clear picture on how to get you back to your pain-free life again.